Sunday, May 6, 2012

Derby Day/ Cinco de Mayo

Hope you had a wonderful Derby Day/ Cinco de Mayo yesterday. I know that most of you only got to watch the actual Kentucky Derby race, but here in Louisville we got to watch horse racing on TV for 2 straight days in a row. I'm telling you that this is serious business around these parts. Friday is called Oaks Day and EVERYONE goes to the track. School is not in session, businesses are closed and there is a party going on in just about every backyard. Serious business. I'm sorry to say that my horse did not win the big race. I was pulling for Bodemeister and it was so close. I'll Have Another won by a bit more than a nose, but honestly it's just fun to watch. When there is no actual money on the line, it's all in fun.
To celebrate the day and to reminisce about our vacation just a little, we had a big pitcher full of sangria

and Chicken and Sausage Paella for dinner.

I know that Paella is not really Mexican, but they do speak Spanish in Spain and I just wanted to see if I could make it taste anything like what we ate while we were there. It turned out OK. I probably would have liked it better with some seafood thrown in, but you all know how Alan feels about that. I'll link the recipes that I used under "I Love the Taste of...." if you are interested.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Sally

No comments: