Friday, September 19, 2014

Runaway Squash Plant




My garden is pretty much finished for the year. I really need to get in there and pull all the dead stuff out, but I wanted to share my crazy squash story with you first. You may or may not remember from past years that I have been totally unsuccessful growing squash here in Louisville. For 3 summers I tried and was always so disappointed. The plants would grow and produce tons of flowers, but some mystery something or other would eat the flowers before they could actually make squash. I  tried every spray, powder, suggestion to no avail. So, this year I decided not to bother. I did not plant a single squash seed or plant. Imagine my surprise when out of the far corner of my little raised bed, up popped a squash plant. Crazy. I decided to just let it do it's thing and boy did it. I don't think you can really tell from the pictures, but it has pretty much taken over the left half of the garden. Did I get any squash from it? you might be asking. No. not a one. I thought I might get a couple. They were there one day and then totally gone the next. I wish I knew who or what seems to like squash as much as I do. Alan says it's the dog, but I'm pretty sure it's squirrels or chipmunks, I just haven't been able to catch them in the act. .Next year no squash will be allowed to invade. I think I will make room for blueberries and strawberries.
Sally

No comments: