Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Block of the Month Nitty Gritty



yesterday I posted some pictures of the progress made on my Block of the Month quilt under the PROJECTS tap at the top of my Blog. I thought that some of you might be interested in how this whole "mystery" block of the month works.



On the designated date each month I attend a little "block reveal" meeting at my local quilt shop. If I bring the completed block from last month with me, I get the kit for the new block free. If I haven't finished last months block then the new kit cost $6.oo.






The kit looks like this. It contains fabric and directions.








I cut out all of my pieces




using these amazing templates




and this tiny little rotary cutter.





When I'm done cutting I end up with a tiny little pile of scraps. There is not a lot of extra fabric provided, so you have to be very careful cutting, unless....





You buy Block of the Month insurance. A fat quarter of each of the fabrics used in the quilt. I bought the insurance, because I like to play it safe. Knock on wood I have not had to use it yet. I do like knowing that it's there.




I don't know it that helps explain everything, but maybe it gives you a better idea of how I'm spending my time.
Sally










No comments: