Thursday, March 21, 2013

My Favorite Part Of Quilting


 Call me crazy. I know you do anyway. My favorite part of making a quilt is sewing on the binding. There, I said it. I know some of you out there (Barb) hate hand sewing the binding and I can appreciate that. For me it's like the grand finale.  I get to sit quietly with my beautiful new quilt on my lap for hours and hours. It really does make me happy.
I finally got around to finishing this quilt last weekend. The top had been done for quite a while, I was just trying to get up the motivation to quilt it on my tiny little sewing machine. I have been so spoiled by Peg at Common Threads letting me use her long arm machine, but a trip back to Iowa is not in the plans, at least not any time soon.  You know how these things are. You always think it's going to take longer than it actually does. Once I got started I even enjoyed it a little bit.

 You can see that I just tried to sew straight lines. I used my walking foot which seemed to help hold it all together. I probably should have basted a bit, but who has time for that?
I think it looks quite springy all yellow and green. Some of the fabrics remind me of sheets that were on my bed way back in the 70's. So retro I guess.
Now I just have to finish the smaller one I made to go with it. It's a different pattern out of the same material.
Sally

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it! You did a good job on the quilting too! And yes, I still hate doing the binding, but I won't do it by machine! Barb