Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sometimes You Win and Sometimes....

Here are a couple of my latest kitchen experiments, both inspired by Pinterest. 
The first one sounded interesting and you know how I like cake.
Wacky Cake or sometimes called Crazy Cake or Depression Cake according to the Blogger that posted the recipe. I first saw the chocolate version and then she shared the vanilla and spicy alternatives. I probably would have made the chocolate one, but I had no Cocoa in the cabinet. I went with the Vanilla Wacky Cake and frosted it with leftover chocolate frosting. I have to say that it all went together very fast and since I chose to bake it in two 4 inch round cake pans it was done in 20 minutes. I'm not quite sure how to describe the finished cake. It's kind of dense but sort of has a sponge cake texture. Mind you it tastes pretty darn good especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
My second experiment still needs some adjustments. I saw a picture on Pinterest of Zucchini Chips. What a great idea. I have been looking for another use for my fancy apple/potato chip maker and this seemed like a yummy way to eat my veggies. So, here is where I went wrong. The zucchini chips really shrunk up to almost nothing and I went way overboard with the seasoning. All that shrinkage really concentrated the salt to the point where the first batch of chips was not really eatable. The second batch I didn't season at all so they were kind of bland. In all honesty, the original poster of the recipe cut her chips a little thicker, said to use seasoning sparingly and cooked hers in her oven. I just tried to to wing it and really all I lost for my efforts was one poor zucchini. I'm going to give it another try, so stay tuned.
Sally

No comments: