Friday, December 13, 2013

Stamp Club Cookie Swap

Cool cookies waiting for a powdered sugar shake
 Tonight is my stamp clubs annual holiday get together. Last year we had a cookie swap and since it was so successful we decided to do it again. Last year I made gingerbread men. Honestly I just didn't have the rolling, cutting and decorating energy this year. I opted to make some of David's favorite cookies. I grew up calling them Mexican Wedding cookies, Some people call them Snowballs. When David was little he called them "Sand Cookies". They are very crumbly, so I can see why they would remind him of sand, especially when we were living near the beach in SC. Thank goodness they don't taste anything like sand.



Part of the swap is to include the recipe that you used. I had to squeeze mine onto these tiny little labels, which is why the baking directions are on the front. The recipe is very simple, but I personally think they can be a bit tricky to make. The cookies are very fragile when they are hot, so getting them off of the sheet pan and on to a rack to cool is a challenge. I say just wait a few minutes. It also works best if you wait until they are completely cooled to shake them in the powdered sugar. I usually put mine in a zip lock bag add a bunch of sugar and gently shake. I leave them in the bag for several hours and then add more sugar and shake again. It works for me. Just in case you are in need of cookies for a swap, here is the recipe:
 Snowballs
1/2 lb softened butter (I used one stick salted and one stick unsalted)
4 TBS regular white sugar
2 cups ground pecans
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
 Cream the sugar and butter and then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and then form into balls. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely and then shake in powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Sally

No comments: