Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pumpkins


Turns out my crazy runaway squash plant wasn't even a squash plant. Well, I guess a pumpkin is a squash, but not the kind that I thought it was. I'm very glad that the mystery is solved. Apparently late last fall when fall turned into winter before we were ready "we" took the pumpkins off the front porch and threw them into the garden so that we could put up Christmas decorations. Fast forward to spring and it seems that one of those pumpkins must have rotted away and .self planted a little seed. When Alan and I were cleaning out the garden last week we found two cute but still very green little pumpkins. They were hidden so well even the squirrels couldn't find them. I've finally gotten to the bottom of my bushel of apples. the bowl above is all that's left. That $7.00 bushel made 3 quarts of applesauce, 12 jars of apple butter, 12 apple turnovers, 20 pumpkin/apple muffins and 3 quart size bags of sliced apples waiting in the freezer ready  to be turned into crisps or pies. I'd say I got my monies worth wouldn't you? Feels like fall here in Kentucky and I'm loving it.
Sally

No comments: