Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Spinning Cotton







Last summer Alan's sister grew some fancy cotton.  She lives in Louisianan on a beautiful farm that's belonged to her husbands family for years. Melinda is the Queen of gardening. She can grow just about anything and loves to share her bounty. When Alan and the kids were visiting at Christmas she sent some bags of cotton home with them. Honestly, I had absolutely no idea what to do with it. The cotton was not just your plain old white variety, oh no. Like I said, this was fancy green and brown cotton. The pictures above show you the process pretty much from start to finish. I keep picking up the wash clothes and feeling them. They are soft but strong. I'm still amazed that it worked. We have another bag or so of cotton to deal with so hopefully I'll be able to make a few more clothes. I can't think of anything else to knit with it. It is very rustic, but that's what I love about it. I can't wait to gift Melinda with a couple of clothes made from her very own cotton. She says she's not planning on planting any cotton this year. Maybe she will change her mind.
Sally

No comments: