Friday, May 6, 2011

Count Down to Derby

1 more day to go!

Today is Oaks Day and for most locals, it is THE DAY. Since "real" folks can't afford to actually go to the Derby, the day before is the race day for them. It's just like a holiday. The kids get out of school, many businesses are closed and people are getting their party on in a big way. the local TV channel has been broadcasting live from Churchill Downs since 10:00 AM. I wish I understood the whole "favorites" thing and exactly how you choose a horse. Pink is the color for the Oaks. The Stargazer Lilly is the event flower and the race supports breast cancer awareness and various cancer related charities.

I just watched the second race of the day and I think I'm kind of getting into it. The race was too close to call so I'm sitting here waiting for the results of the photo finish. This is exciting stuff I tell you. I was going to try and get a few things done today, but I can see now that I will most likely spend the day at the track. (the track on my TV that is). It was just announced that the number 10 horse named Chalice was the winner. Oh my, the third race is about to begin, so I'm going to sign off for now. I might be back with another update before the day is over.

Sally

No comments: