Saturday, November 19, 2011

It's in the Mail




About 10 or 11 years ago I made Advent stockings for my kids out of a pair of old blue jeans. I decorated them to suite each child's interests at that time. Here is Grace's stocking decked out in flowers and peace signs. David's has more of a sports theme to it. Every year I fill them up with 24 little goodies, enough to last until Christmas. Starting December 1st they are supposed to take out just one surprise each day. Now that they are all grown up I keep on filling their stocking each year, but I'm pretty sure they just dump out the whole thing on the first of December and have at it. I guess since I'm not there to see it happen I can still pretend that they are counting down the days until Christmas just like me.





I usually put the stockings together around Thanksgiving. That way I can give David his when we see him. This year I had to plan a little further in advance so that I could get Grace's mailed off to Spain. The deal with mailing packages to Spain is that you want to keep them under 4 pounds. Over that and it costs about $50.00. More than the sum total of everything in the stocking. Trust me I have learned this the hard way. Between Alan and I we took this box to the post office 3 times to be weighed. I even switched boxes to drop a few ounces.


I'm happy to report that it weighed in at 3.13 lbs




I was very excited. I think the lady waiting on me thought I was a little too excited, but what do I care. Grace's stocking is in the mail. Now if I could just find David's.... He says that it's here, but I've looked everywhere.


Sally





1 comment:

Grace said...

I can't wait to get my stocking and no, I do not just dump it out.