Thursday, October 18, 2012

New Favorite Thing

 This super cool tool made by the lovely people at Pampered Chef (who have absolutely no idea who I am) was brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago, by one of my fellow Weight Watcher friends. It is called a Potato Chip Maker, and while it does make pretty amazing 0 fat potato chips, we have been using it mostly to make apple chips. It's so easy and the results are fun and delicious.
 All you do is grab an apple, cut it in half and position the flat side down on the holder prongs.

 Set the slicer tool on it's thinnest setting and slide the apple back and forth across the cutting blade.
 It will make the thinnest apple slices that you have ever seen
 Here is the secret. Lay the apple slices out on layers of paper towel and blot out as much moisture as possible. The dryer you can get them the better.
 Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. I usually make my own, but I've found that the sugar in this little bottle from Kroger is more fine and sticks better to the apples.
 Lay the apple slices on the silicon cooking trays
Microwave for 3 minutes on high. Switch the trays. Put the bottom one on top and then microwave for another 3 minutes. My microwave tends to have "hot spots", so during the second 3 minutes I reduce the power to 70% to keep the center chips from getting too brown.

 Lay them out on a cooling rack for just a minute or so. They seem to crisp up as they cool.
One apple fills this sandwich bag and makes an easy snack to eat at my desk. Everyone that's tasted them  has loved them. Thank you Pampered Chef!

Sally

No comments: