Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Knitting with My Homespun Yarn

I mentioned that one of my New Years "intentions" was to knit up all of the yarn that I have spun to date. Well, I counted up my skeins the other day and I have 12. I realized that I needed to get started. 
Most of these are not very big. Maybe enough yardage to knit a hat, or a baby sweater or a smallish cowl/scarf type item. 
 So, I started with the Hitch Hiker out of the fiber I got in Greensboro over Thanksgiving.
 The pattern is based on the "Motor Cycle Diaries" which I think is a book or a movie. There are supposed to be 42 of the triangle teeth and that is somehow significant to the story. Like I said I'm a little short on yardage so I only have 30 teeth. It's not quite as long as it should be, but it works for me.
 My next project is out of some of my very early homespun. The fiber was from Greenwood Fiber Works and it was a Hand Painted Roving called "Vancouver".
 I'm knitting a 5 Hour Baby Boy Sweater It was a free pattern on Ravelry and just so you know I'm pretty sure it's going to take me more than 5 hours to finish it.
I'm hoping there will be enough yarn left to make a matching hat. It's super soft and cuddly. Only problem, and it's a pretty big one. I didn't think about the fact that it will need to be hand washed until I'd finished the first sleeve. A hand wash only baby sweater is probably not the smartest idea I've ever had.
What can I say?
Sally

No comments: